A study has been published that provides data on the acceptance of virtual worlds by users.
The full text of the study can be found here:
Here is a summary of the results of the study:
- 90% of respondents have less than a year experience
- 70% access Second Life from home
- 54% with a desktop
- 67% of respondents are not afraid of giving personal information
- Almost 60% are very likely to buy virtual goods from Second Life
- 42% are willing to use their credit card to purchase on Second Life
- About 70% perceive Second Life improves collaboration and communication
- More than 60% perceive that it improves cooperation between people
- 56% of respondents perceive Second life as easy to use
- The results indicate that people are using Second Life not to change their identity, but rather to explore and visit new places and meet people.
The study is based on a group of 250 residents.